Thanks for stopping by. For a peek at my studio click here.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pinterest Idea that Worked!

Fabric

I don't know about you but the month of January always puts me into organization mode. Unfortunately that doesn't last too long but this year I actually organized my fabric! Seriously. I saw some great ideas on Pinterest and went with the one that used Comic Book storage boards to wrap the fabric on. It was fast, easy and it worked!


Inspiration

The above picture is from the Smashed Peas & Carrots blog. This blog is full of fun tutorials and how-to's, delish recipes and all sorts of other cool stuff! If you click on the pictures you'll be taken to the article about fabric storage.

I ended up buying 4 packs of comic book boards, there are 100 acid free boards in a pack for around $13 or so each. Keep in mind that I am not a quilter, I like fabric and I use it for my dolls but I didn't realize how many different fabrics I actually had until I did this.

It took me a weekend to do. I didn't use all 400 boards so I do have some extras for my next fabric purchases! Which there will definitely be some of!

Here is what it looks like now

As you can see I can now access the fabric I need without too much trouble. I can also see what I want, mostly. I still have fabric in two drawers and one more shelf but it is all wrapped and I can see what I have.

IKEA KALLAX storage Unit


Within the next few months my studio will be going through a major over hall as we knock down a wall and expand it into the adjoining room (squee!!!) at that time I'll have a different shelving system so theses cute little comic board bolts will be standing upright, like my ispiration picture, instead of stacked on a shelf. 

The investment has already paid off. I shop my stash first and of the 6 projects I've recently completed I haven't had to run to the fabric store at all! That alone has saved me money because when I run to the fabric store for 1/4 yard of whatever I need I end up buying $40 worth of other goodies that I just happened to see!


1 comment:

  1. Am going to have google comic book boards now to see if they are the UK !!

    ReplyDelete