Thanks for stopping by. For a peek at my studio click here.

Sunday, April 12, 2015

My First Sculpture

I sort of fell into sculpting. I've been making dolls since I was a child. I love the doll as a canvas because there truly are no limits to what you create with them. I love fabric and making fabric dolls has always been a pleasure.

I had already discovered polymer clay and really enjoyed working with it but I hadn't thought too much about doll making with clay. Then, the fateful day, I had joined an email list for doll makers and the very first day I was on it a wonderful lady(now a really good friend) posted information about a doll making workshop in Reno, with Wendy Froud - OMG! So I immediately emailed her and signed up for the class.

The class was amazing. I learned so much and had a great time. Wendy is a fantastic teacher who truly enjoys what she does. It just shines out of her. It was a three day workshop and at the end I had a completed fairy. So cool!
My First Sculpture

I know she looks sort of like Mick Jagger in drag but I love her! One of the lessons I didn't learn that first workshop was to let the sculpture lead the way. I've said it here before, sometimes I am thinking of a particular project but once I start sculpting someone else shows up. Well, I REALLY wanted to make a fairy so that is what I did. (Have I mentioned that I am occasionally stubborn?) Had I listened to the clay I probably would have had a really cool creature instead. Either way I fell in love with polymer clay dolls. I get to use all of my passions in one project (you know, fabric, jewelry making, sculpting, embroidery...). 

I've continued to take classes and learn from as many artists as I can. I've been lucky enough to take classes from Kate Church, Patricia  Hedegaard, and Christine Shively to name a few. I've learned new techniques from every instructor and from my sculpting group and I continue to explore new techniques and ways to work with clay. 

This recent class was exciting for me on several levels. I got to take a sculpting class from both Wendy and Toby Froud, I got to take it with 3 of my friends and I got to see how far I've come.

Recent Workshop 

Now and Then

I'm pretty pleased with my progress. Both Facebook and my camera identify my new figure as human, Facebook wants me to tag her!

I've been working like crazy since I got home and will be posting the creature I made for the 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge late today. He's pretty cute!

I love figurative sculpture but polymer clay is so versatile you can make jewelry, dolls, decorative bowls, clocks... the list goes on!  I will be teaching a Steampunk Fairy Door next weekend at the 2015 Reno Steampunk Expo - I'll show some pictures after class - promise!

One of the things I have learned over the years - practice really does make perfect. Each head I sculpt is better, each pair of hands, every foot, the ears, eyes... every time I pick up my sculpting tools I improve my skills. If you want to sculpt don't worry if your creation doesn't look like the instructor's, keep sculpting, your skills will improve! I am finally creating the creatures and figures I see in my head and it is fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment