Thank you for stopping by. If you are looking for my Grow Your Blog party post click "here". I hope you'll explore a bit while you are here. If you have any questions leave me a comment or send me an email!

Friday, March 20, 2015

2015 Polymer Clay Challenge Week 11


This week I wanted to get back to the 2 figures I started a couple of weeks ago so for week 11 I made some Leprechaun boots! As you may recall the leprechaun I am working on is not a cartoon leprechaun but more of a woodsy guy (check him out here).

These boots are sturdy and worn and have served my guy well. With tough laces, a nice reinforced toe and extra "leather" on the sides, I am sure these boots will be good for quite some time!



My Leprechaun was pretty pleased with the boot though he is getting impatient with me. He wants skin and clothes :0) So here are the fabrics I am starting with. I am sure I'll change them up as I go, or he may just insist on something else entirely! I'll keep you posted.


Lots of neutrals and plenty of textures to work with. I had to throw in some green and I just happen to have those super cool green leather gloves that I found at my local Goodwill store. I have no idea if I'll use them but they called to me when I was looking for fabrics to dress my guy in. I love the coarse textures here. I can't wait to see what this pile of fabric turns into!

Next week I am planning on hands. Not sure who for yet but both figures need hands, of course I may make boots for the Steampunk figure. She's being patient so far. Hopefully she'll stay that way for a bit!!


Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pavelka Project - March - Faux Technique


This month for the Pavelka Project we are working with Faux techniques. The three featured are Cinnabar, Ivory and Turquoise. I chose to work with the turquoise and I was amazed with the results!

Clay Blobs

Here is what my pieces looked like before baking. Not very impressive are they! I also decided to bake my lentil bead before I ruined it! I have no idea what I will be making in into yet but at least it is now baked.


Step two: Paint

After the paint dried I got out the buffer that I made from a mini tabletop grinder I got at Harbor Freight and their inner beauty started to show! (I'll share more on the buffer in a future post)

Before Buffing



After Buffing

What a difference a little buffing makes! The above pendant was only buffed, it has no gloss or glaze on it in the above picture! Once I buffed each of them I started working with the jewelry findings I had on hand. 

The beaded bracelet is actual turquoise the rest are faux!

Earrings

Plain Pendant

Set Pendant

Bracelet

I have 2 more pendants I am working on and another one in the oven baking! I had so much fun making these items and I'll definitely be wearing them. These pictures do not do these pieces justice! They are really beautiful.

I am so glad I stumbled upon the Pavelka Project and the 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge, both of which are being hosted by Katie over at Katers Acres. This project has been amazing so far. I am making things I would have thought about but not tried and I LOVE it!







Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Fairy Doors Part One for Week 10 of the 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge




Here are a couple of the finished "tie-dye experiment 1" doors. I'll post more later :0) I will be working on "Tie Dye Experiment 2" this weekend - hopefully!!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

2015 Polymer Clay Challenge Week 10 update


For the 2015 Polymer Clay Challenge this week I had planned to work on boots and feet but then something amazing happened while I was playing in the studio and I took a detour!

I've been trying to get a nice tie-dye look in clay for a Fairy Door project I've been working on. I've tried the Lentil Bead swirl technique, the marbling technique and just mashing colors together to try to get the right look. This week I've taken the cool clay results from these experiments and I am putting together some Fairy doors with them.

Lentil Bead 

Here is one of the Fairy Doors! It hasn't been baked yet and still needs a bit of detail work done but I really like the colors. Tomorrow I'll be posting pictures of the completed door as well as the rest of the doors I made... once they are all baked!

Fairy Door

I am thrilled with the results of this project and I will definitely be playing more with the  Lentil technique. I think with the right size ball of clay I'll be able to get a tie-dye swirl look on a fairy door. The issue is distortion. If I put a Lentil bead through the pasta machine (which I did for the door above) it distorts the pattern, however, if I press the bead flat it doesn't distort as much. So if I have a large enough Lentil bead I should be able to flatten it enough to cut a Fairy Door from it...

I'll keep you posted :0)

Next week I'll get back to feet and boots, or maybe hands but then again I may make more Fairy Doors, I guess the cool thing about the challenge is that the goal is to work with clay every week and expand your skills. So far I am doing just that!

P.S. - I'm still working on the right clay mix for my rocks. I've almost got it right. Once I get it to where I like it I'll be doing a tutorial on rock making. It will have ingredients I use as well as the clay colors and proportions.